Reporting to the vice president of Enterprise Marketing and Communications, the Employee Benefits Marketing and Communications Leader (known as EB Portfolio Director) is accountable for developing an Employee Benefits division-wide strategic marketing and communication plan that achieves the business’ strategic plan goals.
The Employee Benefits Marketing Portfolio Director is a vital partner who helps us deliver on our mission of preparing individuals, businesses, and families for their financial futures. As the primary stakeholder relationship manager on the Enterprise Marketing Communications (EMC) team, this role is a strategic advisor to the division’s business partners and identifies business opportunities, consults with partners and brings outside-in market insights. This role also guides a cross-functional marketing and communications team focused on delivering key objectives.
This role is an individual contributor and works in a matrix in-house agency environment in EMC and drives alignment of working teams toward the priorities of Employee Benefits.
This role is located in our Indianapolis home office and requires a broad knowledge of the financial services and insurance industry, strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, the ability to partner with others in a matrix environment across the enterprise, drive to shared outcomes and work effectively across teams.
- The Employee Benefits Marketing Portfolio Director acts as a strategic business partner to the Employee Benefits (EB) division executive leadership team, provides marketing thought leadership, counsel and synthesizes multiple business strategies for our multichannel, multidiscipline marketing organization.
- Accountable for the development of the top-level marketing and communication strategy and associated outcomes.
- Leads as a peer to position EMC as subject-matter experts.
- Partners with key EB and EMC staff to ensure programs, initiatives and projects are delivered on time, within budget and reaches desired impact.
- Ability to translate program value in measurable results
- Ensures there is a healthy and viable relationship with our stakeholder groups, builds strong partnerships in and out of EMC, coaches and guides others to understand our stakeholder objectives.
- Coaches and guides the EMC team related to Employee Benefits, provides context for marketing and communications related activities and ensures alignment of all staff and actions to anticipated outcomes.
- Manages the Employee Benefits division marketing budget.
- Manages the portfolio of work with members of the Marketing Operations team, ensuring that the value of the portfolio is understood, priorities are set, and talent is aligned to execute the work. In addition, this role will interface with top-level leadership on a regular basis as a valuable member of the Employee Benefits leadership team (indirect reporting structure).
Requirements and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to thrive in a matrixed environment
- Strong executive presence
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking and consulting skills
- Strong influence and negotiation skills
- Strong prioritization and alignment skills
- Employee Benefits business acumen with the ability to frame marketing opportunities in the relevant business context
- Ability to demonstrate leadership and mobilize teams to build alignment, and trust with business stakeholders
- General understanding of marketing and communications disciplines; customer experience, digital marketing and engagement, product and consumer marketing, market visibility, advertising and marketing.
- Deep knowledge of competitor insights and ability to make data-driven recommendations
- Strong communicator and ability to prepare compelling presentations
Required Work Experience
- 5+ years leadership in marketing and/or communications
- 10+ years’ experience in the financial services industry, preferably Employee Benefits.