Bob Jones & Associates, Inc. is a U.S. based recruiting firm providing permanent placement services through contingency or retained search.
My client has six of its own production facilities on three continents and over 50 years of experience, my client is dedicated to the creation of innovative solutions that meet the needs of modern mobility through the creation of automotive gears and parts. OEMs and First Tier Suppliers all over the world trust in their customized components and systems for automotive applications. They have the capabilities to partner with their customers at every project stage; from design, engineering and prototyping through testing and validation to series production and stock management. Currently, our client is looking to employ an Product Development Engineer based out of Columbus, Indiana.
JOB TITLE:: Senior Product Engineer
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
This position will be primarily responsible for project management during new product launch, tool design, process development, and leads support to Production and Quality departments, technical Improvements, cost reductions and technical contact for customers and suppliers.
- Responsible for project management and APQP process from RFQ to SOP for a flawless and successful project launch, potentially leading a multidisciplinary team.
- Adaptation of parts design to powder metal feasible geometries. Process design based on the component to be manufactured and assessment of possible production rate. Calculation of production costs.
- Development of powder metal components together with the customer in simultaneous engineering process. Technical contact for customers and supplier in coordination with sales / purchasing departments
- Design equipment (tools, fixtures, automation units, test equipment) for an economic production. Tooling dimensioning appropriate to the planned material and manufacturing process. Define tooling improvement activities for better performance and life time. General optimization of tool technology.
- Optimization of the process and toolings for current production. Leads continuous improvement activities.
- Strength calculation / part optimization by FEM or coordination of these functions with external suppliers.
- Instills best practice methods for cost saving and efficiency improvements of material, processes, testing, or part applications.
- Actively participates in cross disciplinary teams that are focused on new product/process development, new equipment/machine acquisition, root cause analysis, and continual improvement activities.
- Teach and supervise Product Engineers.
- Works in a safe manner and follows all plant safety policies; and instills safe practices while training other personnel by stressing the hazards associated with operation of specific pieces of equipment.
- Leads through example with respect to professionalism and leadership in the execution and support of company policies and directives.
FORMAL EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED, IF ANY
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret machine and part prints, specifications, statistical data, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to communicate.
- Ability to review, comprehend, and complete statistical analysis.
- Proficient in Siemens NX, Knowledge of P/M tool design, tool materials, tool coatings, P/M processing, CNC lathe programming and PLC programming is preferred. Strong mechanical ability and aptitude is necessary. FEM software is a plus.
- Strong knowledge on PPAP, SPC, MSA, FMEA.
- German, Spanish or Chinese are a plus.
- Six Sigma, Kaizen, Lean are a plus.
- Bachelor Degree (or equivalent) from a college or technical school focused in Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field; 5 years manufacturing experience in the design and manufacture of powder metal automotive powertrain components in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
This is an excellent opportunity to work for a leader in its industry. This is a full time opportunity. Compensation commensurate with experience. Relocation may be offered for right candidate. Please submit most recent resume for quick and confidential consideration.